Album
Info

Hong Kong Railway Museum October 2013

Hong Kong Railway Museum October 2013

Hong Kong Railway Museum (香港鐵路博物館) is a railway museum in the town centre of Tai Po, which is under the management of the Leisure and Cultural Service Department in Hong Kong. Opened in 1985, it is located at the site where the Old Tai Po Market Railway Station was built in 1913. Since then, it acted as a centre of administration and trade which indirectly boosted Tai Wo Market's economy by bringing traders there. The KCR was electrified in 1983 and the station was taken out of service, with new stations being opened to the north (Tai Wo) and south (Tai Po Market) of it. One year later, the Old Tai Po Market Railway Station was declared a monument. The site, together with the buildings and relevant exhibits, were then given to the government by the KCRC for the construction of the Museum.  
 
On the left of the museum, there is an exhibition room of train tickets and train models of not only KCR trains but also Japanese Shinkansen and Eurostar. The further internal part of the room is a refurnished ticket office and signalling house. Two locomotives are on exhibition at the museum, the EMD G12 Diesel-electric locomotive #51, introduced in Hong Kong in 1955, which is called "Sir Alexander", named after former Governor Alexander Grantham, and the A W.G. Bagnall 0-4-4T narrow gauge steam locomotive, restored from the Philippines in 1995. The locomotive is one of two that formerly ran on the narrow gauge Sha Tau Kok Railway line between Fanling and Sha Tau Kok. When that closed, they were used by sugar mills in the Philippines. The other locomotive of the pair was also brought back to Hong Kong and is reported to be undergoing restoration.



Hong Kong Railway Museum October 2013

Hong Kong Railway Museum (香港鐵路博物館) is a railway museum in the town centre of Tai Po, which is under the management of the Leisure and Cultural Service Department in Hong Kong. Opened in 1985, it is located at the site where the Old Tai Po Market Railway Station was built in 1913. Since then, it acted as a centre of administration and trade which indirectly boosted Tai Wo Market's economy by bringing traders there. The KCR was electrified in 1983 and the station was taken out of service, with new stations being opened to the north (Tai Wo) and south (Tai Po Market) of it. One year later, the Old Tai Po Market Railway Station was declared a monument. The site, together with the buildings and relevant exhibits, were then given to the government by the KCRC for the construction of the Museum.  
 
On the left of the museum, there is an exhibition room of train tickets and train models of not only KCR trains but also Japanese Shinkansen and Eurostar. The further internal part of the room is a refurnished ticket office and signalling house. Two locomotives are on exhibition at the museum, the EMD G12 Diesel-electric locomotive #51, introduced in Hong Kong in 1955, which is called "Sir Alexander", named after former Governor Alexander Grantham, and the A W.G. Bagnall 0-4-4T narrow gauge steam locomotive, restored from the Philippines in 1995. The locomotive is one of two that formerly ran on the narrow gauge Sha Tau Kok Railway line between Fanling and Sha Tau Kok. When that closed, they were used by sugar mills in the Philippines. The other locomotive of the pair was also brought back to Hong Kong and is reported to be undergoing restoration.