Album
Info

Berlin Germany August 2013

Berlin Germany August 2013

Berlin, for almost 30 years, was divided by a wall, which ran through the center of the city. When the Berlin Wall fell thanks to a peaceful revolution on November 9th, 1989, the Berlin Wall was quickly torn down and hundreds of artists from all over the world came to Berlin to transform the gray wall into a piece of art. Next, we stopped by the Brandenburg Gate, which stood roughly at the centre of Berlin since its completion as a monument to peace in 1791. There was a opening ceremony there about "The World Championships of the Icelandic Horse", where the President of Iceland gave an opening speech. We went to the Deutsches Historisches Museum and spent 2 hours learning about Germany. There are more than 8000 historical objects on 7500 sqm with stories of political events, confrontations and of social, economical and philosophical developments. Next is the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church which is built between 1891 and 1895 by Kaiser Wilhelm II. The church is currently under renovation and inside is a figure of Christ which is suspended above the altar. It is made from tombak and was designed by Karl Hemmeter. We stopped by Checkpoint Charlie in the afternoon, the place used to be an official crossing for foreigners and diplomats. There is a copy of the guard house with a sign that once marked the border crossing. The ersatz guard house has a mast with an image of a Soviet soldier if viewed from what was the American sector, the opposite side has an image of a US soldier.  
 
The next day, we went to the German city of Dresden which is filled with forests and gardens and parks. Dresden's Theaterplatz is a beautiful square framed by some of the city's most important landmarks such as the Zwinger Palace, the Hofkirche and the Semper Opera House. The Semper Opera House was first built in the 17th century and was rebuilt at the end of the 19th century. On the west side, the square is bordered by a large wing of the Zwinger Palace, known as the Semperbau. The wing houses two museums, the Gemälderie Alte Meister - an art gallery - and the Rüstkammer, an armory. Opposite the palace, along the Elbe river, is the Italienisches Dörfchen. The low Baroque structure was built in 1912 by Hans Erlwein. It is named after the Italian stonemasons who lived here when they were working at the nearby Hofkirche, which borders Theaterplatz on the south-east side. The Baroque Hofkirche, Dresden's catholic cathedral, was built between 1738 and 1751. Before we left Germany and entered Czech Republic ,we stopped by the Bastei which is a rock formation towering 194 metres above the Elbe River in the Elbe Sandstone Mountains of Germany. Reaching a height of 305 metres above sea level, the jagged rocks of the Bastei were formed by water erosion over one million years ago. In 1824, a wooden bridge was constructed to link several rocks for the visitors. This bridge was replaced in 1851 by the present Bastei Bridge made of sandstone.



Berlin Germany August 2013

Berlin, for almost 30 years, was divided by a wall, which ran through the center of the city. When the Berlin Wall fell thanks to a peaceful revolution on November 9th, 1989, the Berlin Wall was quickly torn down and hundreds of artists from all over the world came to Berlin to transform the gray wall into a piece of art. Next, we stopped by the Brandenburg Gate, which stood roughly at the centre of Berlin since its completion as a monument to peace in 1791. There was a opening ceremony there about "The World Championships of the Icelandic Horse", where the President of Iceland gave an opening speech. We went to the Deutsches Historisches Museum and spent 2 hours learning about Germany. There are more than 8000 historical objects on 7500 sqm with stories of political events, confrontations and of social, economical and philosophical developments. Next is the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church which is built between 1891 and 1895 by Kaiser Wilhelm II. The church is currently under renovation and inside is a figure of Christ which is suspended above the altar. It is made from tombak and was designed by Karl Hemmeter. We stopped by Checkpoint Charlie in the afternoon, the place used to be an official crossing for foreigners and diplomats. There is a copy of the guard house with a sign that once marked the border crossing. The ersatz guard house has a mast with an image of a Soviet soldier if viewed from what was the American sector, the opposite side has an image of a US soldier.  
 
The next day, we went to the German city of Dresden which is filled with forests and gardens and parks. Dresden's Theaterplatz is a beautiful square framed by some of the city's most important landmarks such as the Zwinger Palace, the Hofkirche and the Semper Opera House. The Semper Opera House was first built in the 17th century and was rebuilt at the end of the 19th century. On the west side, the square is bordered by a large wing of the Zwinger Palace, known as the Semperbau. The wing houses two museums, the Gemälderie Alte Meister - an art gallery - and the Rüstkammer, an armory. Opposite the palace, along the Elbe river, is the Italienisches Dörfchen. The low Baroque structure was built in 1912 by Hans Erlwein. It is named after the Italian stonemasons who lived here when they were working at the nearby Hofkirche, which borders Theaterplatz on the south-east side. The Baroque Hofkirche, Dresden's catholic cathedral, was built between 1738 and 1751. Before we left Germany and entered Czech Republic ,we stopped by the Bastei which is a rock formation towering 194 metres above the Elbe River in the Elbe Sandstone Mountains of Germany. Reaching a height of 305 metres above sea level, the jagged rocks of the Bastei were formed by water erosion over one million years ago. In 1824, a wooden bridge was constructed to link several rocks for the visitors. This bridge was replaced in 1851 by the present Bastei Bridge made of sandstone.